Experienced Electrical Engineering
Smith Engineering Associates is a full service electrical engineering/consulting firm located in Santa Barbara, California. Most of our work comes from Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo counties, but we have done projects throughout the State of California.
Project estimating, supervision, electrical engineering and lighting design, specification writing, site inspections, cost estimating, and AutoCAD drafting.
6 years of experience working for Square D Company prior to coming to work at John Buss & Associates. While with Square D Company, received invaluable factory training on circuit breakers, switchboards, high voltage equipment, motor control equipment, underfloor duct systems, transformers, and virtually every type of equipment used in power distribution systems. Worked at John Buss & Associates for 2 years as a project engineer. Became a partner in the firm in 1990 and the sole owner in January of 1991.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona (1983).
- California Licensed Professional Engineer No. E013491.
- Georgia Licensed Professional Engineer No. 025282
- Ohio Licensed Professional Engineer No. E63190
- Colorado Licensed Professional Engineer No. 32331
- Texas Licensed Professional Engineer No. 82953
- Arizona Licensed Professional Engineer No. 32195
- NCEES Certified for Electrical Engineering, No. 15985
- California Society of Professional Engineers, member #103037166
- Illuminating Engineers Society (Secretary 1991-1993, Treasurer 1994-1998)
- National Fire Protection Association, member #A-31452690000
- International Association of Electrical Inspectors, member #00010536
Yanet Barrera CAD Drafter
Manual and AutoCAD drafting, word processing. ITT Technical Institute, Oxnard CA, A.S. Computer Drafting and Design, March 2005
Our firm has designed interior lighting systems for a wide variety of applications. These include offices, hotels, retail stores, restaurants, classrooms, laboratories, warehouses, hospitals, manufacturing facilities, residences, parking garages, and many others. Our firm also has considerable experience designing exterior lighting systems. These include parking lots, roadways, sports facilities, landscape lighting, and security floodlighting. Lighting design is performed using a variety of software modeling systems.
Smith Engineering Associates has designed power distribution systems for a wide variety of applications. Our services often include: utility company coordination, high voltage distribution system design, metering/sub-distribution equipment design, sub-panel location and feeder design, and circuiting of all types of lighting, general purpose, and specialized loads. We also have considerable experience designing emergency/standby power systems and motor control systems.
We will assist our clients in providing flexible and expandable telephone/data/intercom systems. Our work typically includes: coordination with telephone and cable TV companies, design of “conduit only” raceway systems, location of outlets, and coordination with system installers.
FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS
We have designed a wide range of fire alarm systems from the basic systems often required by fire departments to the elaborate systems used in hospitals or dormitories.
Our drawings are produced using AutoCAD software on IBM compatible workstations. A Hewlett-Packard plotter is used to put the digitized drawings on bond, vellum, or mylar with in sizes up to 30″x48″.
- Santa Barbara Historical Museum, Lighting Systems and HVAC upgrades
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Ty Warner Sea Center
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Center for
- Regional Anthropology and Zoology
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art Expansion
- Contemporary Arts Forum
- Santa Barbara Doll Museum
HIGH TECH COMMERCIAL
- Cisco Systems (45,000SF offices, data centers, and labs)
- Ericsson Corporation (150,000SF offices, data centers, and labs)
- Cadence Corporation (30,000SF)
- Cox Communications (central exchange/main switch facilities, five locations)
- Pacific Capital Bancorp Operations and Data Center
- Santa Barbara News Press (100,000 SF)
- Fidelity Corporation (135,000 SF)
- Bank of Montecito, 1000 State Street (10,000 SF)
- 3700 State Street (23,000 SF)
- Santa Barbara Corporate Center (70,000 SF Shell)
- Mid-State Bank Computer Center (12,000 SF)
- Bank of Montecito, Coast Village Road
- Powell Corporation (180,000 SF)
- UCSB Seawater System Improvements
- UCSB Water Pump Station
- UCSB – New Tennis Courts
- SBCC – Campus Center Remodel
- City of Santa Barbara Parking Lot #11
- UCSB – Westgate Apartments renovation
- City of Santa Barbara Airport Parking Lot Lighting
- UCSB Streetlighting Systems
- Santa Barbara County 911 Dispatch Bldg
- Santa Barbara County Jail Expansion
- El Patio Housing Community, Santa Barbara
- Cawelti Court Senior Housing, Arroyo Grande
- Cypress Meadows, Ventura
- Cottage Gardens, Santa Barbara
- Los Gatos Condominiums, Goleta
- Shoreline Villas, Santa Barbara
- Village Gardens, Carpinteria
- Santa Maria Village Green
- Promitory Point, Foster City
- Squaw Valley Lodge Condominiums
- Positano Apartments, Goleta
- Modoc Condomiums, Santa Barbara
- Chase Palm Park
- Lake Casitas Park – Boat Launch and RV hookups
- Jalama Beach Park – Power System Improvements
- Vandenberg Cocheo Park
- Camino Real Park – Tennis Courts
- Goleta Pier Electrical Renovations
- Goleta Beach Restroom Facilities
- Goleta Valley Hospital – New Emergency Generator
- Cottage Hospital – Emergency Room Expansion and Renovation
- Goleta Valley Medical Building- Breast Care Center
- Downey Orthopedic Medical Group (5,000 SF Clinic)
- Santa Barbara Medical Clinic, 51 Hitchcock Way (10,000 SF)
- Ventura County Medical Center – West Ventura Clinic (25,000 SF)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Santa Barbara